A fellow slicer wrote about her top five favorite comfort foods (click here to visit her blog, The Apples in My Orchard, to see her post). Reading that slice inspired me to think about my favorite comfort foods, too.
- Sweet iced tea is at the top of my list. When I worked on my dissertation last year, sweet tea kept me going on those mornings when I rose at 4 to write before school. Sweet tea also kept me going in the evenings when I wrote after school. I really should have included McDonald’s and Burger King in the acknowledgments section of my dissertation because they supplied me with the sweet tea that made it all possible.
- My grandmother’s macaroni and cheese is a comfort food that always puts a smile on my face. Her macaroni and cheese is absolutely perfect. She always seems to know when I need a pick-me-up and has a dish ready for me. This is also something that I have a hard time sharing!
- Very Cherry Jelly Belly jelly beans definitely have to make this list. I’m not typically a big jelly bean eater, but something about these particular beans appeal to me. Recently, after I had some outpatient surgery, a friend surprised me with a gift bag that included a bag of these jelly beans and I’ve enjoyed every bean!
- My Mom’s cookies are some of my favorite comfort foods, although I can’t decide between her chocolate chip cookies and her oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. There is nothing better than one of those cookies right out of the oven. The chocolate chips are melty and delicious!
- Omelets are my favorite breakfast comfort food. I love a good omelet, especially with ham, cheese, peppers, and onions. Pair it up with hash browns and I’m a very happy person!
Now that I’ve thought about all of these things, I’m hungry!